My pageviews!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Charlotte's Web, My response

          Something I noticed in the book was that Wilbur was too quick to judge Charlotte. Wilbur fist met Charlotte, well really when he had his first encounter with Charlotte was on page 31. Charlotte tells Wilbur that she had been watching him all day and for quite some time; she really liked him. Charlotte offered to be Wilbur's friend.Although Charlotte made Wilbur wait until the morning to show Wilbur who she was Wilbur was still excited to meet her. He was restless all night constantly waking up but he still waited. For once the barn was quiet. I think that Wilbur was excited because of this mystery figure wanting to be his friend. I know I would have been super excited and super hyper if I was in Wilbur's situation.
        The next day on page 35 Charlotte finally introduced herself to Wilbur. She comes off as kind and loving. One thing I noticed about Charlotte's character is that she's always kind and loving to Wilbur throughout the whole book, even to the very moment of her death. She doesn't seem to want to do anyone any harm.Wilbur was happy that he finally got to meet Charlotte and he's happy that he made a new friend. Or so we think, Wilbur actually is processing Charlotte's character through his mind to see if she is 'worthy' of his friendship this is another thing that I noticed about the book.
        When Charlotte introduces herself Wilbur is absolutely fascinated with her. He's fascinated that she's a very tiny grey spider no bigger than the size of a gumdrop. Wilbur is in complete awe of Charlotte and he tells her how beautiful he thinks she is. They're going off really well and having a great time when Charlotte demonstrates to Wilbur how she catches flies in her web and how she traps them to eat them. Wilbur is no longer in awe of her but looking at Charlotte as a blood thirsty creature. Even though that Wilbur dislikes files so much it's almost as if he loathes them he feels sorry for the one that Charlotte is turning into her breakfast. I think that this part of the book really shows Wilbur's innocence and ignorance to the real world and how there are other creatures out there that have to do some pretty gruesome things in order to survive. I personally think that Wilbur should be grateful that Charlotte is not lying to Wilbur and she's not trying to hide her true nature she does what she has to do to survive she has to live too. Wilbur thinks that when Charlotte kills flies and drinks their blood and likes it that, it automatically makes Charlotte a blood thirsty killer. At least in my opinion Charlotte was kind enough to put the fly to sleep before she ate it, it's not like Charlotte chose who she wanted to be or what her diet was. I think that Wilbur was too quick to judge her. 
              I think that Wilbur was too quick to judge her because he feels that based on Charlotte's diet and her life style that, that's what makes her who she is. Wilbur is absolutely disgusted by Charlotte's diet. I think that Wilbur should have really thought about his actions before he did them because Wilbur is a pig, literally. Wilbur eats table scraps and garbage and sleeps in a huge pile of cow manure. He shouldn't judge Charlotte like that. I can relate to this situation because in the sixth grade I only started out with two friends and I had to take a chance to gain them first. When I first met my best friend Kamillah I thought that she was weird and out of place but then I thought to myself that's no way to treat people. It's not right to judge people by their appearance it's what's on the inside that counts. I realize this now because I took a chance with Kamillah and she turned out to be a really nice person and now she's one of my closest friends; I'm really happy that I took  a chance with Kamillah. Everyone has to take a chance at least every day. Later on in the book Wilbur realizes that Charlotte really wants to be his friend, and that she only wants to help him, because after all Wilbur is a pig and bacon comes from pigs, she truly does not want her friend to be the Zuckerman's next breakfast.  Wilbur took a chance and I took a chance sadly Charlotte passed away protecting her babies, my friend however is still very much alive.  
         This is how I thought that Wilbur was too quick to judge Charlotte, and I was too quick to judge Kamillah.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete