My pageviews!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mother to Son, My reflection.

                       
                       I read the poem "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes, and I really enjoyed it.  I found the deeper meaning within this poem, it's not just any poem, it's not just a mother's words to her son. It's about hardships, this poem tells a life story if you really think about it.
        Mother  to son, by Langston Hughes
Well, son I tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor--
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on them steps
Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now--
For I'se still goin' honey,
I'se still climbin'
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair
        One thing that I noticed about the poem is that it starts off kind of like a conversation and throught the poem you can hear her voice talking to her son, it's firm and strong, yet soft and caring.  The mother is giving the son words of wisdom because she's telling him that she had to do the same thing and she never got a break and so to survive in this world he has to keep going.
   Some translations that I came up with for words in the poem is for the words: Tacks, Splinters, torn up boards, no carpet, and crystal stair.
    For the words Tacks, Splinters, Torn up Boards, and No Carpet I came up with this definition. It could mean that the person proably grew up poor, life wasn't easy for them,  had rough patches, damaged, and shows struggle. I came up with this because when I think of something so beaten down so battered this is the first thing that came to mind when I had read this poem.
   For the word Crystal Stair, I came up with this definition. It could mean that the person had a easy life, perfect, flawless, may mean the person was born rich. I came up with this because I felt that this meaning best represented this.
    Something else that I analyzed about the poem is that, she doesn't want her son to just give up, she wants him to keep pushing on like she did and still is. She's telling him that life isn't perfect and it's going to be rough and you're not always going to be able to stop you're going to have to keep going because time waits for no one.
   Some emotions that I noticed in the poem were, that she was stressed, tired, depressed, always busy, she wants a break, worried, lifeless, blank, sometimes there is no emotion.
    By the way that the poem is written, grammer wise, I assumed that this was a african american speaking to her son. I assumed this because the poem was written in 1922, and african americans back then used to grow up in poverty, and have such a rough life trying to survive, so I imagined that this would be an african american mother speaking words of wisdom to her son.
    These are some of the things that I noticed in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment